Carbon Tax is Coming. Save Money By Lowering Your Fuel Consumption
The holidays can be tough on your pocketbook and saving money in this economy is one of the top priorities of many Albertans. The Alberta government is introducing an economy-wide carbon levy – starting January 1, 2017, the levy will apply to the purchases of fossil fuels that produce greenhouse-gas emissions when burned. For gas, that means an extra 4.5 cents per litre at the pump and 5.4 cents per litre for diesel! With these changes occurring in the next few weeks, JD Collision is providing you tips to lower your fuel consumption and keep more money in your pocket.
- Regular maintenance on your vehicle. Bringing your car in for regular maintenance lengthens the life of your vehicle, lowers emissions, and improves your fuel economy. All the small things like regular oil changes, air filter changes, and spark plug replacement will help you save those nickels and dimes which really add up over time.
- Tire Pressure. Under-inflated tires burn more fuel and can increase your fuel cost as much as 13%! Ensuring tires remain properly inflated and aligned saves fuel by reducing the amount of drag your engine has to overcome. Putting nitrogen in your tires will extend tire life, have better pressure retention and increase your fuel economy and handling! You will still see pressure changes with the nitrogen as the temperature changes, but overall, nitrogen-filled tires run cooler and at a more consistent pressure than their air-filled counterparts.
- Minimize The Weight. Only carry items in your car that are necessary. Every 100lbs of weight in your vehicle decreases your fuel economy by 1%-2%. You can even reduce drag by putting large items inside the vehicle or truck rather than using your roof rack.
- Pump That Gas. Keep the hose in the tank until after the pump shuts off. As much as ¼ cup of fuel can pour from the hose after it’s shut off!
- Smooth Cruisin’. Try to drive as smoothly as possible. Applying light throttle and limiting heavy breaking reduces both fuel consumption and wear and tear. Research suggests driving techniques can influence fuel efficiency by as much as 30%. Maintaining a steady speed also limits fuel consumption.
- Do It All At Once. Combining all your errands into one trip saves you time and money– trips taken from a cold start can use twice as much fuel!. Trip planning will ensure that travelling is done when the engine is warmed-up and efficient.
- Best Price. Prices can vary from gas station to gas station, sometimes up to a 10% difference within a few blocks. Keep an eye on the cost and try to purchase from the lowest cost station. Download an app like GasBuddy to stay up to date. With over 60 million users, they have the most accurate and real-time fuel prices at over 140,000 stations in Canada, the U.S. and Australia! They offer gas insights, money-saving tips, and user-submitted station reviews!
- Minimize Idling. Modern vehicles are designed to warm up fast so try to avoid idling. Idle stop-start systems are commonly used on hybrid vehicles, but several manufacturers have started to use the stop-start systems on regular cars sold in Canada. Idle stop-start technology lowers fuel consumption by turning the engine off when the car is idling and during deceleration at low speeds, reducing fuel consumption during city driving by 4% to 10%!
- Become Friends With Cruise Control. Using cruise control on the highway can save you up to 6% in fuel consumption!
- Avoid Rough Roads. Driving on a dirt or gravel road can steal up to 30% of your gas mileage. Every time the wheels bounce up and down, forward motion is removed from the vehicle, actually slowing down the transfer of energy, forcing you to apply more throttle and waste fuel!
More than ever, Albertans will need to hit the brakes on spending. JD Collision is here to help. Our innovative collision services offer you the best methods to fix your vehicle and get you back on the road faster. That said, we understand the cost of fixing a vehicle can be challenging. Working closely with CitiFinancial, we can offer you payment plans to get you back on the road and lessen the immediate hit to your pocket. Contact us today to learn more about our payment plan options.